As said in previous Pre-Toddler activity posts I have found it more challenging in my research to find activities for children 12-18 months old. It seems most activities I have found are geared toward children 2+ years old.
Today we are making "Texture Soup" which is more geared toward children > 15 months old or those who have moved/are moving out of the "put everything in their mouth" phase. This activity can be as messy or as clean as you would like, but I have learned if I prepare myself for the mess I am less irritated by it and my son usually has more fun.
How to make "Texture Soup:"
- Fill 4-8 small containers with objects of various textures, sizes and purposes. **Watch your children at all times during this activity, as small objects are a choking hazard.**
- Provide a large (non-breakable) mixing bowl and a spoon and/or spatula.
- Open one container at a time allowing your child to explore.
- If he/she is struggling to grasp the concept demonstrate several times or just let them have fun playing with their new toys
|I used: Marbles, String Beads, Foam Peanuts, Seashells, Rice, Paper Clips, Pasta, Coins. Note: Rice = Bad Idea|
My son played with texture soup for about 30 minutes. Like I have said before, any activity that holds my little ones attention greater than 5 minutes is considered a success.
I think the beads were B's favorite part. Although he did enjoy stirring.
Pre-Toddler Activity Tip #1: Remember, your 12-18 month old changes fast. What he/she is can't do today may be easy tomorrow, so try again.
View other 12-18 Month Activities:
- Pre-Toddler Activity #1: Activity Box
- Pre-Toddler Activity #2: Alphabet Box
- Pre-Toddler Activity #3: Puzzle Search