Saturday, April 17, 2010

Week One Alone....COMPLETE

We have successfully completed our (Bennett and myself) first week at home alone. I will admit the days get long, but for the most part (aside from the long bouts of crying) it wasn't so bad.

Monday, we managed to be out of the house by 10 a.m. and on our way to the pediatrician to be weighed. Bennett was back up to 10 lbs. which is 5 oz. from his birth weight, so we have to go back again on Monday. We then went to Walgreen's, Chik-fil-A (Can I say I have always loved Chik-fil-A, but since being pregnant I have become obsessed with their lemonade. I would also like to add that Chik-fil-A should have their peppermint milk shake year around), and to Davis Islands to meet Sam/daddy for lunch.

a onblur="try {parent.deselectBloggerImageGracefully();} catch(e) {}" href="">
It was a beautiful day and despite only spending 30 minutes with Sam it was nice to have lunch with him and be outside. (Bonus: Bennett slept the whole time!!!) Monday night gave way to more crying, but once he was asleep he slept for 4 1/2 hours, up for 1 1/2, then back down for 2. I was pleased and felt much more rested.
(A glimpse at Davis Island)

Tuesday, we just hung out around the house. He cried, I comforted. He pooped, I changed. He ate, I fed. We performed that routine about 400 times (okay, that may be a stretch) and then Sam came home. Prior to Sam's return from work our friend Natasha and her son, Noah, brought us dinner and visited for a while (I didn't get a picture of them with Bennett, because he was being a fussy pants). Sam and I ate dinner and watched more episodes of LOST (Our current addiction, which has been quit the highlight during a day of crying, peeing, pooping, feeding, and sleeping. We are currently at the beginning of season three).

Wednesday, we again just hung around the house repeating a similar routine to Tuesday. I was able to rest early in the day, which gave me some energy for a little house work in the afternoon. I put Bennett in the baby bjorn and washed dishes, changed sheets, put away laundry, and straightened up a little before putting him and myself down for a nap. Our friend Bethany brought us dinner around 5:30 and visited for a bit. She has a son, Roman, who is 5 1/2 months old and will be a perfect playmate for our little man. Again, Sam and I ate dinner and indulged in LOST.

Thursday, I was exhausted. Bennett did not sleep well on Wednesday night, so I spent much of the normal sleeping hours AWAKE. When he went down for a nap around 9 a.m. I, too, was out. I have been feeling better, physically, so we took a short walk around 11:30a.m. I was very thankful to experience little to no pain even if we did only walk 17 minutes. We spent the next few hours trying to get ready to go to the post office and Michael's, so that I could mail my Kentucky taxes and return some craft items I had not used. Bennett did fairly well, minus the 5 minute melt down in the car on our way to Michael's. Upon our return home, I made chicken stir-fry for dinner and again we ate and watched more LOST.

Friday, we performed our normal routine, but I bathed Bennett by myself for the first time. NO CRYING!!!!!!!! Yep, that's a first. I guess I should cut him some slack since he's only been in his bathtub about 6 times during his 20 days on this earth. I spent most of the day trying to keep him on a feeding schedule, so that we could go watch Sam play softball at 6:30 p.m. Sam is playing in our church softball league with several of our friends. I thought it would be a good opportunity to get outside and to enjoy conversation with friends (the wives usually attend the games). Bennett ate around 5:30 p.m. and we were out of the house by 6 p.m. He was in full "scream" mode when we arrived at the ball park, but quickly calmed down and was asleep in about 5 minutes. He slept through most of the game which allowed me to sit and talk with some sweet ladies (so nice when you've been in the house all week). The guys had fun playing, but didn't come away with the win. It was their second game, so they are still getting used to playing with one another. Overall, attending the game was a success, so we plan to return next week.


Sandy said...

Thanks for the update, Amber. I enjoyed the post. The softball game story brought back good memories of that season in our lives.

When you wrote "long bouts of crying" in the first paragraph, I thought you were talking about YOU crying...rather than Bennett..hehe....probably a remnant indicator of the rough time I had adapting in my first months as a new mother.:-)

You and Sam are doing a great job nurturing and "listening" to Bennett- responding to his cries quickly and meeting his needs with calm assurance, gentleness and good humor. You are teaching him- before he has concepts or words or even knows himself to be separate from you- that GOD IS LOVE, that GOD will respond to him, that God will provide.

Isn't it amazing? That God gives to a man and woman who laughingly denigrate their musical ability, the love and resources to sing the song that will weave throughout every cell and moment of this child's being and life: LOVE IS GOOD...GOD IS LOVE...GOD LOVES ME. What a gift!

Mama Smors said...

glad you survived your first week!! each week will get better and you will get to know exactly what bennett needs. as they adjust to this crazy world we live in the crying seems to fade. he is absolutely precious!

Em said...

I am so impressed with you! You are out and about and an amazing mom. I love reading your blog and hearing about your new addition. Again, impressed!!