Monday, September 3, 2012

Zoe's Birth Story

The last several weeks of pregnancy involved hours of blurred vision, headaches, hand numbness, and what I refer to as a general foggy feeling.  My blood pressure had been high on occasion, but not always.  The OB was unsure of the cause, but wanted me on bed rest.  Therefore, I (along with several friends and family members) were praying for me to go into labor sooner than later. 

I had my 40 week check up scheduled for Monday, August 27th (due date-August 28th).  I have never been a fan of induction, unless medically necessary, but had decided if I was effaced and dilated enough I would move forward with induction as soon as possible.  I was effaced 60% and dilated 2 cm, so we scheduled induction for Tuesday morning, August 28th.

I had many fears surrounding induction.  I feared I wouldn't progress normally.  I feared I would labor for hours and still end up with a C-section.  I feared I would experience more intense pain due to the pitosin.  I asked my close friends and family to join me in praying that I would cast my cares on the Lord and fully trust Him.  They did and He answered!!!!!!

Our 4:05 a.m. wake up time came early!  We arrived at the hospital by 5 a.m.  I was hooked up to the IV by 6:30, pitosin started by 7, water broke by 7:30, and epidural by 9:30 a.m.  I could feel the contractions just slightly.  They felt different than they did with Bennett (the pain was sharper), but I contributed that to the pitosin or bad memory.  Dr. Jones checked me around 10 and I was 3-4 cm dilated.  A little time passed, I began feeling the contractions more and thought about asking them to increase the epidural medication.  

Sam needed to email some work documents and was struggling to attain a strong enough Wifi connection at the hospital, so around 11 he made a quick trip to Starbucks.  While he was gone I had several contractions that were 7-8/10 on the pain scale.  Had I known how dilated I was I would not have asked them to increase my epidural, but I didn't, so I asked for more.  The anesthesiologist came and injected a bolus of meds into the IV and within a few minutes I was totally numb :(  Sam returned and was responding to a text from my sister when our nurse came in to ask if I was feeling pressure or pain.  I told her I couldn't feel anything and she said she was going to check me within the next few minutes if Dr. Jones or Iranni had not arrived.  

Dr. Iranni walked in a few minutes later and started to check me, but said,  "Oh my, there is her head, you are ready to have this baby."   

She asked if I wanted to wait on Dr. Jones and I said, "No, let's go."  

Everyone was rushing around the room getting tables, gloves, a mirror (which I requested), when I hear our nurse say, "You better get the table, because this baby is coming."

They positioned the mirror, so I could see and Dr. Iranni said, "Jones wants us to wait on him if we can, but this baby is ready."

My legs were so numb I could not even hold them in the stirrups, which was very frustrating.  Like I said, had I know how close I was to pushing I would not have asked for more medication, but the last I heard I was only dilated 3-4 cm and I had only been laboring for 4.5 hours (I labored 16 with Bennett).  

Dr. Iranni told me to take a deep breath and push.  I took a deep breath, but couldn't feel enough to push.  I didn't need to.  Zoe literally slid right out.  That may gross you out, but it's true.  I am not 100% sure, but I would say from the time Dr. Iranni walked in to check me to the time Zoe was delivered less than 10 minutes passed.  I guess after having a 10 lb. 5 oz. baby, 8 lb. 7 oz. is a cake walk.

Zoe was born at 12:08 p.m.  She was 20 3/4 inches of total cuteness.  

Bennett was excited to meet Zoe.  He came to the hospital around dinner time, looked at her for a few seconds, said her name several times, held her for a few seconds, and then moved on to watching a Veggie Tales movie.

Our first family photo of four.  Too bad I was still in my hospital gown.  My legs and lower body were numb most of the day, so I was unable to get up, shower, and get dressed.  By the time my in-laws arrived with Bennett I had only been out of bed a few times and was still a little wobbly.

We opted to stay in the hospital for only 24 hours, so we have been home since Wednesday evening.  So far, so good.........minus the sleepless nights, bruised/cracked nipples, etc. :)

We are blessed and thankful to have a healthy baby girl in our home!!


Catie said...

She's beautiful!! Congratulations!

Unknown said...

Tears :) so thankful for the blessing of a short labor and safe delivery. And I never got a chance to comment on the nursery post but I love that you kept your grandma's lamp in there. After months of praying it is so good to be singing songs of praise for little Zoe's arrival. Love you!

Kay K said...

Congratuations !! She is Adorable
what a sweet family picture

CallieMarie said...

Congratulations!! So glad to hear that everything went well overall and all are healthy. She is absolutely beautiful! You have been so very blessed.

Anonymous said...

Welcome Zoe! May she be blessed with a long, healthy, happy and prosperous life serving God.

Congratulations to all!


Theresa said...

Congratulations! She is beautiful. Welcome to the world, Zoe!

Anonymous said...

Awww, congratulations Amber! So happy for you and your beautiful family! Love you girl!

Unknown said...

Congratulations she is beautiful..

Nate and Molly said...

Congratulations!! So glad to hear Zoe's birth went so smoothly!

Us said...

Thanks for sharing her birth story! I can't believe how quickly your labor went! Amazing! Praying you get some good pockets of sleep in the coming days!

Rebecca B said...

Congratulations, she is adorable!! Praying that you are able to get some more sleep in the following weeks! I feel like it was just yesterday when I read your birthing story about Bennett, in anticipation for Hannah to arrive...and now here we are with the about the exact place I was before as well. Crazy.

Tara said...

congrats!! what a wonderful birth story! And she is adorable! Such a beautiful family!!

Anonymous said...

YAY! Loved reading this. So glad it went well.